This brief article is an English summary of “Museo Archeologico Provinciale di Salerno: una visita dettagliata” that was published on our website a few days ago. The Source Text, which was written by art historian Annamaria Parlato, is about the main archeological finds hosted by the Provincial Archeological Museum of Salerno, that is one of the most important museums of our city.
Established in 1927, the Provincial Archeological Museum of Salerno, which opened to the public in 1928, was originally housed inside ”Palazzo Sant’Agostino”. It was then moved into “Casina dell’Orto Agrario” in 1939 but later it was shifted again to its previous site. The Museum was eventually moved into the Complex of San Benedetto, that is a former convent dating back to the Lombard Era, which is located in the centre of Salerno.
The Museum hosts several archeological testimonies dating from Prehistoric Times to the Middle Ages.
The exhibition is spread out over 3 floors:
The Lapidarium and the annexed garden host Roman commemorative stones, statues, figurative reliefs and cinerary urns. One of the most important statues of the exhibition is a “Venere Cnidia”, which was probably sculpted by Ancient Greek sculptor Praxiteles;
The lower floor hosts an array of finds dating from the Iron Age.
The exhibition presents grave goods from Roscigno and Oliveto Citra (two small towns near Salerno);
The upper floor hosts remains from the Necropolis of Fratte. The most precious find of the whole exhibition is a “bronze head of Apollo”, which was found in the net of a fisherman in 1930. This precious evidence was probably sculpted by Pasiteles, a Neo-Attic school sculptor from Ancient Rome.
On this floor, the exhibition also presents remains dating back to the Lombard Era.
The Museum also hosts oil lamps belonging to the time period between I BC and II B.C. as well as bronze and “bucchero” vases dating back to the Etruscan Age.
Finally, the exhibition presents a numismatic collection including Greek, Roman and Medieval coins.
Italian archeologist Venturino Panebianco defined the Museum as the “most important historical and topographical Institute” of our Province.
The Source Text is available at the following URL: